A Seniors Perspective: Letter to Freshman Self


In about five months, I will be calling myself an alumni of Grand Canyon University. I will be all "grown up" and facing the real adult world, with real adult problems, that my college experience may or may not have prepared me for. Looking back, I have no regrets at all in my college experience. But there are a few things I wish I knew when I was a college freshman. I decided to reflect on them in a letter to my freshman self.



Abriel,

First things first. Call your mom. She’s probably blowing up your phone already. It gets annoying sometimes, but you’re going to need her. I mean, give her a break, you are almost 3000 miles from home. There’s going to be some moments where you want to punch yourself for going to school so far away, but she'll remind you why it's worth it.

College is going to take more of you than you ever expected. In a few short years, you’re going to become an entirely different person. Take a good look in the mirror now. Not only will your hair be longer than you thought, but in four years’ time, you’ll be almost unrecognizable. You lose yourself a little along the way. Don't worry though, sometime later, once you’ve realized who you don’t want to be, you’re going to find yourself again. You’re going to be new and different—not at all who you thought you’d be– but someone even better. Someone who enjoys studying, who likes matching pajama sets and who calls her mom at least every other day. 

Now, I won't lie to you and say that your first year, or any year after that is smooth and easy going. Because it definitely is not. You're going to leave the University of Hawai'i (shocker I know), to transfer to Grand Canyon University. Although you thought you would never leave, it is probably one of the best decisions you've ever made. Not only do you keep the amazing friends you made in Hawai'i, but you're going to meet great people at GCU too. Hang on tight to those floor 9 Lokelani girls though, because those are your people. We got really lucky with them. You'll change your major about 3 times, and that's okay. It may seem stressful at the time, but you figure it all out and in the end you are happy you didn't stick with your first choice.

Make sure you go to all of your classes because you are going to need those attendance points. You are so smart, and there is no reason for you to get a C in a class because you would rather sleep in than show up to a morning class. And while we are on the subject, stop scheduling early morning classes, for your sake. Also, do all of your homework or you will regret it!

Go to office hours. Seriously, do it. If you ever thought that your high school classes were hard, you had no idea about what college is like. Professors in college are not like teachers in high school; they are not going to remember your name from just seeing you sitting in class. 

Please, for your own sanity, find alone time. Find things you like to do by yourself. Read or just sit on your bed and watch Netflix, find time to be by yourself and recharge! You're going to need it, trust me.

It's okay not to be okay. It's okay to cry. You will find that you are going to be challenged mentally, emotionally, and physically. More than you ever thought you would be. You can and you will get through it. That doesn't mean that you can't take time to feel emotions. You're strong, but you don't have to put on a fake smile and pretend that nothing is wrong. 

Remember to call your grandparents. You don’t realize now how limited of a time you have with them. Unfortunately, you will find that out sooner than you thought. Your junior year is going to be your toughest year because you'll lose your bestfriend in the whole world, granny. And although you didn't think you could finish without her, you'll find that losing her pushes you to finish even harder and stronger. She sees your effort and she loves you. Remember that.

I could go on and on, but you don’t really need me to. You’re going to be fine. Soak it all up and remember, it goes faster than you would have ever imagined. College may take a lot out of you, but it’s going to give it all back in completely new ways. Whatever you do, don t give up.


Love,
Your Senior Self


I'll be starting my last semester of senior year in a few weeks.  I have my best friends at my side. I talk to my mom probably more than anyone else. I truly thought I had my life planned out, and now I’m going in a completely different direction. But I am happy with my life and with who I am. I can't wait to see where life takes me after this.

 photo light pink xoxo_zpsvary32vn.png

No comments :

Post a Comment